James J. Salmons, Esq.
James graduated with the highest honors from The Santa Barbara and Ventura Colleges of Law in 2019. Throughout law school, James worked full-time writing policy and ensuring regulatory compliance for a small Department of the Interior agency.
During his 2L year, James had the distinct pleasure of law clerking for the Honorable Judge Joann Johnson, Supervising Family Law Judge at the Ventura Superior Court, where he researched and drafted inputs for the Judge on a variety of complex family law matters.
Prior to law school, James completed a Master of Business Administration from the University of La Verne in 2016, and a Master of Science in Environmental Science and Policy from The Johns Hopkins University in 2014 – completing both programs in the top 5% of each class.
James served honorably in the U.S. Navy from 2001-2009, where he deployed to Fallujah in 2004 and Basra, Iraq in 2005, with the Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 4, based in Port Hueneme, CA. Seabees – Can Do!
Court Admissions & Education
- State Bar of California, admitted June 2020, State Bar No. 331391
- The Santa Barbara and Ventura Colleges of Law – Juris Doctor with Highest Honors, December 2019 – Certificates of Concentration: Family Law, Estate Planning Law, Business Law
- University of La Verne – Master of Business Administration in Human Resource Management and Organizational Development, March 2016
- The Johns Hopkins University – Master of Science in Environmental Science and Policy, December 2014
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics
- Certified Mediator – Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement
Honors & Memberships
- Navy Achievement Medal (2) for exceptional conduct during his first deployment to Iraq
- Witkin Legal Institute Award(s) for highest course grade in: Legal Research, Business Associations, Professional Responsibility, Advanced Legal Writing, Civil Procedure, Community Property, Family Law, Remedies, and Real Property
- Recipient of the 2018 VCOL Family Law Scholarship
- Dean's Honors List – 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L
- Ventura County Bar Association – Member
- Ventura County Family Law Bar Association – Member
- California Lawyer's Association -Member
- Veterans of Foreign Wars -Member
James regularly enjoys surfing, golfing, cycling, snowboarding, and playing with his two dogs - Doug and Stewie. James has been described as “highly competitive but reasonable in his approach" – a trait which serves well his passion for the law!